Thursday, June 3, 2010

Yayoi Kusama


Yayoi Kusama

http://www.yayoi-kusama.jp/e/biography/index.html

Yayoi Kusama is one of the new artists that I learned about recently in my 3D art class. Her work is very imaginative, abstract, and fun. Her pieces deal a lot with patterns and repetition, with the polka dot as Kusama's trademark. Every time repetition and patterns are involved, I often relate it to my own work because I love creating abstract repetitions and patterns. I believe repetition creates a natural flow that's pleasing to the eyes regardless of the object or pattern. It's a sense of intertwining and conforming that we all crave. Kusama calls herself an "obessive artist", but personally I think it's more like a concentration in detail.

An interesting thing about Kusama is that she draws inspiration from her hallucinations and mental illness. Her polka dot craze was inspired directly from her hallucinations and hopefully that's not what I'm getting inspiration from...Kusama chooses to live in a mental hospital while working on her art in a nearby studio. She comes out only for exhibitions. I definitely think she's admirable because she finds strength in herself through art and that is what every artist should strive for.

"If it were not for art, I would have killed myself a long time ago." - Kusama

No comments:

Post a Comment